Quick link

Veterans’ Benefits and Programs
How to Receive Veterans Benefits While Attending CAJ

Veterans’ Benefits and Programs

Click here for Veterans Affairs Office Contact Information

Click here for CAJ Veteran Student Shopping Sheet

Click here for CAJ Class Certification Form


Charles A. Jones Career & Education Center assists veterans, reservists, and dependents of service-connected disabled or deceased veterans with their educational benefits. Our Veterans Affairs (/student-resources/veterans/veterans-affairs-office) (VA) staff is available to provide assistance with completing and filing VA claim forms for federal and state education assistance programs.

For more information about education benefits offered by VA through the GI Bill®, go to VA’s Education and Training (http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill). GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).


How to Receive Veterans Benefits While Attending CAJs for the latest information on the pandemic.

Military Service Credit

Credit for military service is granted upon presentation of papers showing completion of basic training. A veteran may military service of credit towards training program by submitting copy of their DD214 separation papers and other services documents for credit evaluation.

Under rare circumstances, veterans may also receive credit for satisfactory training completed in service school. After enrolling at Charles A Jones Career & Education Center, a veteran may apply for evaluation of military service experience for education credit.

Guidelines to VA Certification

Enrollment – Semester Certification

Enrollment certification for VA education benefits is not automatic. Students should meet with staff in the  to the Veterans Affairs Office every block in order to initiate their educational benefits. We strongly recommend that students accomplish this as soon as they have secured classes in order to expedite the processing of educational benefits

Required Courses for Certification

All certifications are based on required courses for major and general education. Recommended and advised courses are not payable by VA. 


Pay is based on attendance of your required courses. Students are required to notify the Charles A. Jones Career & Education Veterans Affairs Office of a withdrawal from course(s). The CAJ Veterans Affairs Office will notify the Department of Veterans Affairs of the adjustment or termination of benefits retroactive to the date of the withdrawal. If an overpayment occurs as a result of the adjustment or termination, the student will be required to return the overpaid funds back to the Department of Veterans Affairs. If a student is called to active duty or reserve military service during a block and cannot complete the program clock hours, a petition for military withdrawal may be requested through Admissions and Records.

When there is an overpayment, the VA will ask for repayment of the overpaid benefits. If you ignore the VAʼs request, they can withhold future GI Bill® payments, disability payments, or depending upon the situation, they can take a student to court, charge interest, and they may take future tax return refunds, attach wages, put legal holds on property or deny home loans. When adding or dropping classes, the student must report the drop or add directly to the VA Certifying Official. 

Post 9/11 GI Bill® Tips and Reminders

Remember that the Post 9/11 GI Bill® housing and books and supplies stipends are paid “in arrears.” This means that your housing stipend for August won’t be received until September. Also, if you are starting school for the first time, your first payment may not be for a full month of housing because the VA pays from the actual day you start school.

Tuition and fee payments go directly to the school.

Be sure to inform VA if you change your direct deposit information.

Advanced Pay

New students or students who did not attend the previous term may request certification with advance pay at least 35 days prior to the start of the term. Students interested in advance pay should notify the CAJ Veterans Office when requesting certification, as a separate signature is required. Department of Veterans Affairs will subsequently forward a benefit check to the college, which includes pay in advance for the first two calendar months of the term. Post 9/11 GI Bill® recipients are not eligible for Advance Pay.

Maintain Academic Progress

The Veterans Affairs Office is required to notify the Department of Veterans Affairs of a studentʼs dismissal. The Department of Veteran Affairs will terminate benefits unless it can be shown that the student is pursuing an appropriate objective and has a reasonable chance for success in the chosen program. Contact the Veterans Affairs Office for more information.

Veteran Affairs Chapter Benefits

Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty, Chapter 30

Establishes a program of educational benefits for eligible persons entering military service after June 30, 1985, who have had their basic military pay reduced for their first 12 months of service and received a discharge specified as “honorable”. The maximum entitlement is 36 months of full-time benefits. Monthly benefit rates are determined by the VA. Benefits terminate 10 years after date of separation.

Chapter 30 Kickers – Higher monthly benefits are paid to Chapter 30 participants with “kickers” and to Chapter 30 participants who made additional Chapter 30 payments.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Education program, Chapter 31

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Education (VR&E) program is is administered by a different department of VA than regular education benefits. This program has two key goals:

1.  To assist the service-disabled veteran to prepare for, obtain, and maintain suitable employment (including educational assistance).

2.  For those persons who are severely disabled and that gainful employment is not an option, assistance may be provided to allow that person to live more independently in his or her community.

More information about VR&E benefits (https://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/index.asp)

Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Chapter 33

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill™. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits; generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. (https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_transfer.asp)

Learn more about the Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill® to Spouse and Dependents (https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_transfer.asp) (https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_transfer.asp)


Survivors & Dependents, Chapter 35

Sons, daughters and spouses of a veteran may be eligible for benefits if the veteran died while on active duty, died after discharge from active duty of a service- connected disability, is permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability, or listed as missing in action for a total of more than 90 days. Eligible persons are entitled to a maximum of 45 months of full-time benefits. Generally, the eligibility period for sons and daughters is between the ages of 18 and 26. A spouse may use educational benefits during a 10 year period after eligibility is found.


Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserves, Chapter 1606

To be eligible for educational assistance a person must have a 6-year obligation to serve in the selected reserve after June 30, 1985. Maximum entitlement is 36 months of full-time benefits which terminate 10 years from the date of eligibility or the day following separation from a reserve component.

Chapter 1606 Kickers – An additional amount, called a kicker, may be added to the benefit of some Chapter 1606 students.

Note: Active duty personnel are reimbursed for tuition and fees only, but are accessed entitlement charges at the rate of attend.

Other Veterans Programs

College Fee Waiver for Veterans’ Dependents Program (state program)


The dependent child, spouse, or unmarried surviving spouses of a service connected-disabled or deceased veteran may be entitled to fee waiver benefits at all California community colleges, CSU system, and UC system universities. To obtain eligibility requirements and assistance in applying for this valuable benefit, please contact your local County Veteran Service office or the college Veteran Affairs office. You can also download an application from the website for the California Department of Veteran Affairs (https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Pages/College-Fee-Waiver.aspx).

If you are receiving Chapter 35 benefits, you are not eligible to receive the College Fee Waiver for Veterans’ Dependents under Plan A. See the instructions for details about Plan B and minimum eligibility requirements.

This benefit is applicable to one academic year only and must be renewed EVERY academic year. The academic year commences in the summer and ends with the end of the spring term  (i.e. one academic year = summer term/fall term/spring term).

VA – Tutorial Assistance

Did you know that the Department of Veterans Affairs pays for tutoring? If you feel you need help in your academic courses, please stop by and speak with the VA Certifying Official. The Department of Veteran Affairs will pay up to $600 in tutorial help for you if you are receiving VA educational benefits. The Department of Veteran Affairs pays for the tutor at a rate of no more than

$100 per month, which is paid to you. You are responsible for paying the tutor.

To be eligible, you must submit a brief letter of recommendation from the instructor of the course stating that they recommend tutoring to resolve student deficiencies for the given subject and a brief letter of recommendation from your counselor stating they agree with the instructor’s recommendation. The course must be on your VA educational plan.

The student, tutor and certifying official must complete VA form 22-1990t, Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance. The student may submit an application at the end of each month. However, the student may delay submitting the application and include several months. Tutoring must occur during the student’s enrollment period, and must be given on an individual basis. The tutor may not be a close relative of the student (spouse, parent, child, sister, brother).

Veterans Affairs FAQ

Do I have to pay tuition and fees?

For all Chapters except 33 and 31, the answer is – yes. Students are responsible for their own fees, which are due generally upon enrollment. The GI Bill® is a monthly allotment. You get paid via check or direct deposit. The VA educational benefit is to help offset the cost of tuition, fees, or books. For Chapter 33 and 31 students, the VA will pay your enrollment fees (after certification and Muskogee processing time). We will place a Do Not Drop indicator on your record so you are not dropped for non-payment in the meantime.

How long does it take to get my money?

The first time you file your initial application for VA educational benefits, the processing by the VA can take up to 8 to 10 weeks. Once the VA processes the application and establishes a file for you, subsequent processing of paperwork usually takes approximately 6 weeks. Peak periods, such as the start of the semester, educational benefit paperwork may take longer for the school and VA to process.

How do I get my money?

Once the VA processes and approves your certification, you receive monthly payments based on your attendance in classes. The VA pays the monthly payments at the beginning of each month for the preceding month’s attendance. You have the option on your initial application for benefits of requesting direct deposit to your bank. Otherwise you will receive your benefit payments as hard copy checks. To verify or apply for direct deposit, you can call the VA Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551 or log on to eBenefits (https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage).

Can I get all the money at once?

All GI Bills® are paid in monthly payments based on the previous month’s attendance unless you are receiving advance pay.

Why do I have to declare a major?

The VA requires you to declare an objective or goal. At CAJ, that would be enrolling in an eligible CTE program.

My dad / mom / husband / wife was in the military. What benefits do I get?

If the veteran is 100% permanently and totally disabled or deceased due to service connected injury or death, the spouse or child may be eligible for Chapter 35 (Dependent) benefits. Note: The spouse cannot have re-married and there is an age cut off for the children.

If you are not eligible for this program, you may be eligible for a fee waiver program – the CAL VET program. The veteran must have established a percentage of disability with the VA and the child must meet an income criteria. 

Why do I have to fill out all this paperwork?

The paperwork we give you as a new student at Charles A. Jones Career & Education student establishes your veteran’s file at CAJ and your VA file in Muskogee, OK. There is a reason for each piece of paperwork. Once the files are established you will need to complete one piece of paperwork each term to keep benefits going, unless you change your education plan.

I only received approximately ½ the amount of money I normally get?

Have you dropped classes? Are you in a short-term or Fast-Track class, which ended before the end of the rest of the term? Could an instructor have dropped you for non-attendance of a class? These are a few reasons that could affect pay. You need to contact our office so we can pull your file and find out what happened.

What is a NOBE?

For reservists utilizing Chapter 1606, a NOBE is a Notice of Basic Eligibility. You obtain your NOBE from your unit and you hand it in with your VA package of paperwork to our office.

Can I sign up for the GI Bill® without my DD214, copy 4?

While we will certify you for benefits without a DD214, we ask that you obtain one as soon as possible. We are required by State law to retain a copy in your file in our office. Also, there is always a possibility that not having a DD214 can hold the processing of your benefits by the VA.

Can I start my GI Bill® while on terminal leave?

No – you must be discharged from service to apply as a veteran. Otherwise, your paperwork will be treated as an active duty person.

It has been six weeks – where is my money?

Depending on the backlog at Muskogee, six weeks may be a reasonable amount of time for adjudication (processing). We suggest that you check with our office so we can pull your file and determine whether or not we need to do an inquiry.

Do I have to pay taxes on my GI Bill®?

No—all GI Bill® benefits are tax-free.

Charles A. Jones Career & Education Center to Executive Order 13607 (https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2012/04/27/executive-order-establishing- principles-excellence-educational-instituti):

Establishing Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses, and Other Family Members