Financial Aid


Direct Loans

Direct Loans (A student loan formerly known as a Stafford Loan) are available to qualifying students for most of our programs. A Direct Loan may be available for students who meet the Federal guidelines for this type of financial aid. The purpose of the direct loan is to assist students with fees related to school attendance.  CAJ school policy states “Direct Loans related to programs under one year will be certified only for program costs not already covered by PELL and/or other scholarships.” (CAJ Financial Aid Policy Manual, 2019)

To Apply for a Direct Loan

  1. Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form online at  The federal school code for the Charles A. Jones Career and Education Center is 009509.
  2. Go to to apply for a loan. You will be asked to find your school.  Look for “Sacramento City Unified School District.” (For assistance with this website, call 1-800-557-7394). You must apply for a PIN number first. (You may already have this from your FAFSA application… yes… it is the same PIN as the FAFSA.)
  3. E-sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN)
  4. Attend “entrance counseling” which can be found on the same website.

Pell Grants

A PELL Grant may be available for students who meet the Federal guidelines for this type of financial aid.

NOTE: This is a federal grant, not a loan. It is provided to qualifying students to help with school costs. It is not intended to pay household bills. Click here for the government’s Net Price Calculator that will give an estimate based on the price of attendance and financial aid provided to students in a previous year.

You may not qualify for a PELL Grant if:

  • Your income is too high
  • You are a male who did not register for Selective Service by their 26th birthday
  • You already have a degree (BA, BS, or higher)
  • You were recently convicted of a felony drug charge for sales or possession of a controlled substance while receiving financial aid.
  • You have defaulted on a student loan.
  • You do not have a high school diploma, GED/HiSET, or an Ability to Benefit test (ATB)
  • Be sure to bring income verification for wages, AFDC, Social Security, SSI, spousal and child support, and/or alimony.

To Apply for a Pell Grant

  1. Go to the government’s official FAFSA application form at
  2. Fill out the form using our school code of 009509 where applicable.
  3. Upon successful submission, you will receive a confirmation page and a PIN number.  Make sure you write this down and keep it in a safe place because you will need it for future use or PRINT THIS PAGE FOR YOUR RECORDS.
  4. After a minimum of 5 working days, bring your confirmation page and copies of all applicable documents (listed on the reverse side of this “Financial Aid Procedures” brochure) to the Financial Aid Office. IMPORTANT: Be sure all documents are copies of the originals. We will not accept any original documentation, no copies will be made on site, and all copies brought will become the property of the Financial Aid Office.